THE ISSUE IS SOUND DOCTRINE
1 Tim 1:10 “For whoremongers, for them that DEFILE THEMSELVES with mankind, for menstealers, for liars, for perjured persons, and IF THERE BE ANY OTHER THING THAT IS CONTRARY TO SOUND DOCTRINE;” (KJV)
The atonement means that Jesus shed His blood and died for the remission of our sins.
Rom 5:11 “And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received THE ATONEMENT.” (KJV)
Heb 9:22 “And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and WITHOUT SHEDDING OF BLOOD IS NO REMISSION.” (KJV)
Heb 9:25-26 “Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; For then must he often have suffered since the foundation of the world: but now once in the end of the world hath HE APPEARED TO PUT AWAY SIN BY THE SACRIFICE OF HIMSELF.” (KJV)
THE PERVERSION OF THE ATONEMENT COMES FROM EXOTIC SPINS OF THE FOLLOWING SCRIPTURE.
2 Cor 5:21 “For he hath made him to be sin for us, who knew no sin; that we might be made the righteousness of God in him.”
Those who pervert the atonement isolate this scripture from other scriptures regarding our redemption.
PERVERSIONS OF THE ATONEMENT:
1. Kenneth Copeland-"THE RIGHTEOUSNESS OF GOD WAS MADE TO BE SIN. HE [JESUS] ACCEPTED THE SIN NATURE OF SATAN IN HIS OWN SPIRIT and at the moment that He did that He cried, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" You don't know what happened at the cross. Why do you think Moses, obeying the instruction of God, hung the serpent up on the pole instead of a lamb? That used to bug me. I said, "Why in the world would you want to put a snake up there -- the sign of Satan? Why didn't you put a lamb on that pole." And the Lord said, "Because, it was the sign of Satan that was hanging on the cross." He said, "I accepted in my own spirit spiritual death and the light was turned off." (Kenneth Copeland, What Happened From the Cross to the Throne, Kenneth Copeland Ministries, side two tape)
2. Benny Hinn-"He [Jesus] who is righteous by choice said, 'THE ONLY WAY I CAN STOP SIN IS BY ME BECOMING IT. I can't just stop it by letting it touch Me; I AND IT MUST BECOME ONE.' Hear this! HE WHO IS THE NATURE OF GOD BECAME THE NATURE OF SATAN where He became sin!" (Benny Hinn, TBN, 12/1/90).
3. Copeland-“JESUS HAD TO "ACCEPT THE SIN NATURE OF SATAN." (Kenneth Copeland, What Happened from the Cross to the Throne, side 2
4. Copeland-“Jesus supposedly "PUT HIMSELF INTO THE HANDS OF SATAN WHEN HE WENT TO THAT CROSS, AND TOOK THAT SAME NATURE THAT ADAM DID [WHEN HE SINNED]." (Kenneth Copeland, The Incarnation (Fort Worth: Kenneth Copeland Ministries, 1985, audiotape #01-0402), side 1.)
5. Copeland-“JESUS "HAD TO GIVE UP HIS RIGHTEOUSNESS" (Kenneth Copeland, The Incarnation, side 2)
THIS STATEMENT IS CONTRARY TO MANY SCRIPTURES.
Heb 4:15 "we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet WITHOUT SIN.”
Isa 53:10 “Yet it pleased the LORD to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt MAKE HIS SOUL AN OFFERING FOR SIN,”
Isa 53:11 “He shall see of the travail of his soul, and shall be satisfied: by his knowledge shall my righteous servant justify many; for HE SHALL BEAR THEIR INIQUITIES.”
JESUS NEVER SINNED!
1 Pet 2:22 “WHO DID NO SIN, neither was guile found in his mouth:” (KJV)
I Jn 3:5 “And ye know that HE WAS MANIFESTED TO TAKE AWAY OUR SINS; and IN HIM IS NO SIN.”
John 1:29 “The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, BEHOLD THE LAMB OF GOD, which taketh away the sin of the world.”
Psalms 16:10, Acts 2:27, “Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer THINE HOLY ONE to see corruption.” (KJV)
During the time of Jesus’ physical death He was called God’s HOLY ONE. God would never have called Him His Holy One if he had the nature of Satan; was in sin; or was not righteous.
John 9:24 “Then again called they the man that was blind, and said unto him, Give God the praise: we know that this man is a sinner.”
These teachers are saying the same thing about Jesus that the Pharisees said, that HE WAS A SINNER.
WHAT A PERVERSION. JESUS IS THE SAVIOR OF SINNERS!
2 Cor. 5:21…has been spun to infinitum to mean totally opposite of its true meaning. Otherwise, the way they spin it contradicts many other scriptures. Copeland isolates scriptures and takes them out of context at the expense of ignoring other scriptures. To get biblical truth, all scriptures must be considered on any given topic. They are all apart of a whole picture.
2 Pet 1:20 “Knowing this first, that NO PROPHECY OF THE SCRIPTURE IS OF ANY PRIVATE INTERPRETATION.” (KJV)
1. Copeland-"SATAN CONQUERED JESUS ON THE CROSS and took His spirit to the dark regions of hell" (Kenneth Copeland, Holy Bible: Kenneth Copeland Reference Edition (Kenneth Copeland, Fort Worth: Kenneth Copeland Ministries, 1991), 129.)
John 10:17-18 Jesus said, “Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. NO MAN TAKETH IT FROM ME, BUT I LAY IT DOWN OF MYSELF. I HAVE POWER TO LAY IT DOWN, AND I HAVE POWER TO TAKE IT AGAIN.”
When Jesus died on the cross, Lk. 23:46 says “He GAVE UP THE GHOST”, it was not forcefully taken from Him by Satan.
2. Copeland-"He [Jesus] allowed THE DEVIL TO DRAG HIM INTO THE DEPTHS OF HELL....He allowed Himself to COME UNDER SATAN'S CONTROL...every demon in hell came down on Him to annihilate Him....They tortured Him beyond anything anybody had ever conceived. For three days He suffered everything there is to suffer." Kenneth Copeland, Holy Bible: Kenneth Copeland Reference Edition Kenneth Copeland Ministries, 1991, 129.)
FACT: HELL IS NOT CONTROLLED BY SATAN. Satan could not have drug Jesus to hell. God controls hell, not Satan. Satan’s time of being in hell is yet to come. Satan will be no one’s master in hell. He will be an inmate of hell. Hell will be the place of his eternal punishment.
Rev 20:2-3 “And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years, And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more,” (KJV)
SATAN NEVER DEFEATED JESUS NOR CONTROLLED HIM FOR A MOMENT.
Jn. 10:10 says “He came to destroy the works of the devil”. Jesus cast devils out, they never prevailed over Him. Satan was never for a second Jesus’ master! Jesus is not called Master for no reason. He resisted Satan in The Temptation. Satan tried to get Jesus to bow down to him and control him, but never came close to doing that.
Luke 4:8 “And Jesus answered and said unto him, Get thee behind me, Satan: for it is written, Thou shalt worship the Lord thy God, and him only shalt thou serve”
Acts 2:31-32 “He seeing this before spake of the resurrection of Christ, that his soul was not left in hell, neither his flesh did see corruption. This Jesus hath God raised up, whereof we all are witnesses.”
Mt.28:18 "And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth." Jesus had power over all the demonic forces in creation, over all the power of the enemy. Satan by no means could hurt him.
Jesus was the Master, not Satan!
3. Benny Hinn-“JESUS AT HIS DEATH BECAME ONE WITH SATAN. (Benny Hinn, Benny Hinn broadcast, recorded 12/15/90)
How could Jesus be one with Satan?
John 10:30 Jesus said, “I and my Father are one.”
Jesus is apart of the eternal Trinity. It was impossible for Him to be one with Satan. That is blaspheming Christ’s name!
JESUS WAS THREE DAYS IN HELL
Copeland-"See, you have to realize that He [Jesus] died; you have to realize that He went into the pit of hell as A MORTAL MAN made sin. But He didn't stay there, thank God. He was reborn in the pit of hell and resurrected." (Kenneth Copeland, What Happened From the Cross to the Throne, Kenneth Copeland Ministries, side two tape)
Consider Copeland’s statements. He says Jesus went to hell “A MORTAL MAN”. In an earlier statement he said that when Jesus was on earth He was “ALL MAN”, not God. TO SAY THAT JESUS DIED AS A MORTAL MAN could only mean that Copeland does not believe Jesus was “God in the flesh”, I Tim. 3:16 KJV; nor that He was “the only begotten Son of God”, John 3:16. For Jesus to have been a MORTAL MAN and ALL MAN, HE WOULD HAVE HAD TO HAVE AN EARTHLY FATHER.
1 Tim 3:16 “And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: GOD WAS MANIFEST IN THE FLESH,” (KJV)
Heb 2:16-17 “For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham. Wherefore in all things it behoved HIM TO BE MADE LIKE UNTO HIS BRETHREN, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.” (KJV)
I Jn 4:3 “And every spirit that CONFESSETH NOT THAT JESUS CHRIST is COME IN THE FLESH is not of God: and THIS IS THAT SPIRIT OF ANTICHRIST,”
According to what Copeland said, he believes that Jesus came in the flesh, but He was NOT GOD IN THE FLESH. This is one of the main reason Copeland likes the NIV and other translations rather than the KJV. The NIV and other translations delete 1 Tim. 3:16 which says that Jesus was “God manifest in the flesh”, and they change John 3:16 from the KJV that says He is “the ONLY BEGOTTEN SON OF GOD”, to “GOD’S ONE AND ONLY SON”. The “only begotten Son of God” refers to Jesus being born of a virgin and of Him being God in the flesh.
2. Copeland- “HE (JESUS) ALLOWED HIMSELF TO COME UNDER SATAN'S CONTROL...every demon in hell came down on Him to annihilate Him....THEY TORTURED HIM BEYOND ANYTHING ANYBODY HAD EVER CONCEIVED. FOR THREE DAYS HE SUFFERED EVERYTHING THERE IS TO SUFFER." Kenneth Copeland, Holy Bible: Kenneth Copeland Reference Edition Kenneth Copeland Ministries, 1991, 129.’ K. Copeland, Believer's Voice of Victory, September 1991, p.3
3. Joyce Meyer-“There is no hope of anyone going to heaven unless they believe this truth I am presenting. YOU CANNOT GO TO HEAVEN unless you BELIEVE WITH ALL YOUR HEART that Jesus took your place in hell (p. 37).. [Joyce Meyer, The Most Important Decision You Will Ever Make Booklet, Fenton, Mo.: Life In The Word, Inc./Joyce Meyer Ministries, August 1991 edition, pg. 36; (pg. 42 of the current edition). Where is that in the Bible?
Additionally Joyce Meyer teaches that Jesus suffering in hell three days, not the cross nor His shed blood, is where salvation was purchased. (Ibid., pp. 35-38, 41, 43; (pp. 41-44, 47, 49 of the current edition).
4. Fred Price-“Do you think that the punishment for our sin was to die on a cross? If that were the case, THE TWO THIEVES COULD HAVE PAID YOUR PRICE. No, THE PUNISHMENT WAS TO GO INTO HELL ITSELF AND TO SERVE TIME IN HELL separated from God…Satan and all the demons of hell thought that they had Him bound and they threw a net over Jesus and they DRAGGED HIM DOWN TO THE VERY PIT OF HELL ITSELF TO SERVE OUR SENTENCE.” Fred Price. (Ever Increasing Faith Messenger, June 1980.) (Identification #3 (Inglewood, CA: Ever Increasing Faith Ministries, 1980), tape #FP545, side 1.) Incidentally Mormon Apostle James E. Talmage, teaches the same thing in his book Jesus the Christ.
“Jesus said, ‘It is finished.’ And He meant the Old Covenant. The job He had to do was just getting started. He really did the job the three days and nights that He was in hell. That’s where the job was done” (emphasis added).
“HE WAS PRONOUNCED GUILTY ON THE CROSS BUT HE PAID THE PRICE IN HELL.” (Fact: He was pronounced guilty at Pontius Pilate’s court. The cross was the place to carry out His sentence).
5. Charles Capps-“WHEN JESUS WAS IN THE PIT OF HELL, IN THAT TERRIBLE TORMENT, no doubt the Devil and his emissaries gathered around to see the annihilation of God's Son. But in the corridors of hell, there came a great voice from heaven: "Turn Him loose! He's there illegally!" And all of hell became paralyzed. (Capps, Authority in Three Worlds, p. 143, emphasis in original) “Jesus was born again before his eyes!” (Ibid, p. 189,)
6. Copeland-"EVERY DEMON IN HELL TORTURED HIM BEYOND ANYTHING THAT ANYBODY HAS EVER CONCEIVED. For three days He suffered everything there is to suffer. Some people don't want to believe that. They want to believe that after his death, Jesus just stayed in the upper region of Sheol that the Bible calls paradise - where the saints waited for redemption. But they're mistaken! If He had simply stayed there, there would have been no price for sin. What then would have been the use of shedding His precious blood?" ["The Price of it All," The Believers Voice of Victory magazine, Sept, 1991, pp.3-4]
Eph 4:8-10 “Wherefore he saith, When HE ASCENDED UP ON HIGH, HE LED CAPTIVITY CAPTIVE, AND GAVE GIFTS UNTO MEN. (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth? He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)”
Most Bible scholars say that in the Old Testament era, hell was divided into compartments. One was the bosom of Abraham which was also known as Paradise.
This scripture is referring how Jesus went to Paradise, the bosom of Abraham (Lk. 16:23), and released the Old Testament saints to enter into heaven. He did not go to hell to suffer torment at the hands of Satan and demons. That is not in the scriptures.
Matt 12:40 “For as Jonas was three days and three nights in the whale's belly; so shall the Son of man be three days and three nights in the heart of THE EARTH (not hell).” (KJV)
Acts 2:27 “Because thou wilt not leave my soul in hell, neither wilt thou suffer thine Holy One to see corruption.” (KJV)
This was speaking of his body being in the grave and not decaying.
Rev 1:18 “I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.” JESUS HAS THEY KEYS OF HELL, NOT SATAN.
Hell and the lake of fire are actually separate places. Since Christ released those in Paradise to go to heaven, hell is now solely the holding place or prison for the spirits of those who are damned.
Rev 20:14-15 “And death and HELL were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death. And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.” (KJV)
According to these scriptures, IT WAS IMPOSSIBLE FOR JESUS TO SPEND THREE DAYS IN HELL.
Lk.23:42-43 "And he (the thief) said unto Jesus, Lord, remember me when thou comest into thy kingdom. And Jesus said unto him, Verily I say unto thee, THIS DAY SHALT THOU BE WITH ME IN PARADISE." Yes, that's what the Bible says. He did go to paradise & that very day. It is not true Jesus went to hell, the place of torment for three days.
Luke 23:46 “And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, FATHER, INTO THY HANDS I COMMEND MY SPIRIT: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.”
How could Jesus be in Satan’s hands when immediately after He died His Spirit was in His Father’s hands?
7. Copeland-“How did Jesus then on the cross say, ‘My God.’ Because God was not His Father any more. He took upon Himself the nature of Satan. And I’m telling you Jesus is in the middle of that pit. He’s suffering all that there is to suffer, there is no suffering left . . . apart from Him. HIS EMACIATED, LITTLE WORMY SPIRIT. (Kenneth Copeland, Believer's Voice of Victory (television program), TBN, 21 April 1991.)
Think about Copeland’s statement that Jesus had an “EMACIATED LITTLE WORMY SPIRIT”. You could not say words that would give a greater insult or disrespect to a person. This totally is unscriptural!
JESUS HAD THE STRONGEST SPIRIT OF ANYONE WHO EVER WALKED THIS PLANET. Consider: When the Jews wanted to forcibly make Him a king, He refused. Jesus stood down Satan when he tempted Him. He healed on the Sabbath and faced down the Pharisees who criticized and threatened Him. He stood up to his judge Pilate at His trial; not answering him when He was questioning Him and then telling him that he would have no power over him except for what His Father has given him. Most men would have broken and cowered if they had faced what Jesus faced: being rejected, beaten, spat upon, mocked, humiliated and then publicly crucified. No doubt Jesus’ human flesh was screaming and His soul and spirit were being tormented immeasurably bearing the sins of the world, but there is no way He had “a little wormy spirit”. Jesus, being God in the flesh, could have called off His trial and crucifixion at anytime if He had a LITTLE WORMY SPIRIT, like Copeland alleges.
Luke 1:80 says about Jesus, “And the child grew, and WAXED STRONG IN SPIRIT,” (KJV)
Heb 12:2-3 “…who for the joy that was set before him ENDURED THE CROSS, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God. For consider him that ENDURED SUCH CONTRADICTION OF SINNERS AGAINST HIMSELF.” (KJV) ENDURED is not a word denoting having a weak spirit.
JESUS SPIRITUALLY DIED, NOT JUST PHYSICALLY. THE LIGHTS WENT OUT
1. Copeland-"THE DAY THAT JESUS WAS CRUCIFIED, God's life, that eternal energy that was His from birth, moved out of Him and He ACCEPTED THE VERY NATURE OF DEATH ITSELF." (Kenneth Copeland, The "The Price of It All," Believer's Voice of Victory, September 1991, 3.)
This statement is totally opposite everything the Bible says about Jesus. It says to believe in Jesus is to have EVERLASTING LIFE. Jesus cannot give us everlasting life if He has the nature of death. “Everlasting life” IS everlasting, unending!
John 3:16 “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life.” (KJV)
2. Copeland-“Jesus is said to have remarked, "It was a sign of Satan that was hanging on the cross....I ACCEPTED, IN MY OWN SPIRIT, SPIRITUAL DEATH; AND THE LIGHT WAS TURNED OFF." (Kenneth Copeland, What Happened from the Cross to the Throne, side 2.)
REGARDING THE ASSERTION THAT JESUS WAS SPIRITUALLY DEAD:
To be SPIRITUALLY DEAD MEANS one is a sinner and WITHOUT GOD. How can Jesus be without God when He is God?
Eph 2:1 “And you hath he quickened, who were DEAD IN TRESPASSES AND SINS;” (KJV)
Rev 20:14-15 “And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. THIS IS THE SECOND DEATH.” (KJV)
Ps 90:2 “Before the mountains were brought forth, or ever thou hadst formed the earth and the world, even FROM EVERLASTING TO EVERLASTING, THOU ART GOD.” (KJV)
Eph 3:9 “God, who CREATED ALL THINGS BY JESUS CHRIST:” (KJV)
REGARDING THE ASSERTION HIS LIGHT WENT OUT
If the lights went out, then Jesus would have CEASED TO EXIST.
John 19:30 “When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, It is finished: and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost. (It never said His lights went out)”
2 Cor 5:8 “We are confident, I say, and willing rather TO BE ABSENT FROM THE BODY, AND TO BE PRESENT WITH THE LORD.”
According to the Bible, WHEN WE DIE WE DON’T CEASE TO EXIST. We are immortal and will live eternally in heaven or in hell.
John 8:12 “Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I AM THE LIGHT of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness,”
I Jn 1:5 ‘This then is the message which we have heard of him, and declare unto you, that GOD IS LIGHT, and in him is no darkness at all.’
Rev 21:23 ‘And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and THE LAMB IS THE LIGHT THEREOF.”
THE SUN MAY CEASE FROM SHINING, BUT JESUS, THE LIGHT OF THE WORLD, WILL NEVER GO OUT!
JESUS IS ETERNAL. He created the heavens and the earth. JN. 1:1 HE WILL NEVER CEASE TO EXIST!
JESUS WAS BORN AGAIN
1. Kenneth Hagin-“WHY DID HE NEED TO BE BEGOTTEN OR BORN? BECAUSE HE BECAME LIKE WE WERE - SEPARATED FROM GOD. BECAUSE HE TASTED SPIRITUAL DEATH FOR EVERY MAN. And His spirit and inner men went to hell in my place. Can't you see that? PHYSICAL DEATH WOULDN'T REMOVE YOUR SINS. He's tasted death for every man. He's talking about tasting spiritual death. Jesus is the first person that was ever born again. Why did His spirit need to be born again? Because it was estranged from God." (Kenneth Hagin, "How Jesus obtained His Name" (Kenneth Hagin Ministries, audio tape #44-H01
THIS IS ABSOLUTELY UNSCRIPTURAL!
Luke 23:46 And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, Father, INTO THY HANDS I COMMEND MY SPIRIT: and having said thus, he gave up the ghost.
2. COPELAND-"He [JESUS] WAS LITERALLY BEING REBORN BEFORE THE DEVIL'S VERY EYES. He began to flex His spiritual muscles.... Jesus was born again-the firstborn from the dead the Word calls Him-and He whipped the devil in his own backyard. He took everything he had away from him. He took his keys and his authority away from him." ("The Price of it All," Believer's Voice
To say Jesus was born again would be saying He had an UNREGENERATE NATURE, which is blasphemy.
To say Jesus was “Born Again” is an impossibility!
He. 13:8 “JESUS CHRIST IS THE SAME, YESTERDAY, TODAY AND FOREVER”
Mal 3:6 For I am the LORD, I CHANGE NOT;”
If you never change, you could never be born again.
1. COPELAND, "Jesus went into hell to free mankind from the penalty of Adam's high treason...When HIS BLOOD POURED OUT IT DID NOT ATONE. Jesus spent three horrible days and nights in the bowels of this earth getting back for you and me our rights with God." (Ken Copeland, Personal letter from Ken Copeland, Ft. Worth Texas, March 12, 1979. (D. R. McConnell, A Different Gospel, page 118) Personal letter from Kenneth Copeland, F.W., Tx. March 12, 1979) They are saying Jesus bought our salvation in hell, not by shedding His blood. This concept is right out of E.W. Kenyon’s book, “From the Cross to the Throne”)
Heb 9:22-28 “WITHOUT SHEDDING OF BLOOD IS NO REMISSION” (KJV)
A. IN THE OLD TESTAMENT A BLOOD SACRIFICE WAS REQUIRED for the atonement of sins.
Note: The lambs didn’t go to hell to pay the price anyone’s sins. They just died and shed their blood for remission of sins.
Lev 1:3-4 “If his offering be a burnt sacrifice of the herd, let him offer a male WITHOUT BLEMISH: he shall offer it of his own voluntary will at the door of the tabernacle of the congregation before the LORD. And he shall put his hand upon the head of the burnt offering; and it shall be accepted for him to make ATONEMENT for him.”
B. ABRAHAMA AND ISAAC: God provided a ram for Abraham to shed its blood and die in Isaac’s place.
C. THE PASSOVER IN EGYPT:
Exod 12:13 “And the blood shall be to you for a token upon the houses where ye are: and WHEN I SEE THE BLOOD, I will pass over you, and the plague shall not be upon you to destroy you, when I smite the land of Egypt.”
D. 1 Pet 1:18-19 “Forasmuch as ye know that ye were not REDEEMED with corruptible things, as silver and gold, from your vain conversation received by tradition from your but WITH THE PRECIOUS BLOOD OF CHRIST, as of a lamb without blemish and without spot.”
Col 1:14 “In whom WE HAVE REDEMPTION THROUGH HIS BLOOD, even the forgiveness of sins:” (KJV)
Rom 5:11-12 “And not only so, but we also joy in God through our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom we have now received THE ATONEMENT. Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:”
2. Hagin, “The Precious Blood of Jesus” p. 7, p. 13, HIS BLOOD CLEANSESTH US FROM ALL UNRIGHTEOUSNESS, NOT TALKING TO SINNERS.
That is not what the Bible says.
Col 1:14 “In whom we have REDEMPTION THROUGH HIS BLOOD, EVEN THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS:” (KJV)
Col.1:20 " and by Him to reconcile all things to Himself, by Him, whether things on earth or things in heaven, having MADE PEACE THROUGH THE BLOOD OF HIS CROSS."
Heb 9:14-15 "HOW MUCH MORE SHALL THE BLOOD OF CHRIST, who through the eternal Spirit offered Himself WITHOUT SPOT to God, cleanse your conscience from dead works to serve the living God? And for this reason He is the Mediator of the new covenant, BY MEANS OF DEATH, FOR THE REDEMPTION of the transgressions under the first covenant, that those who are called may receive the promise of the eternal inheritance. Nor yet that he should offer himself often, as the high priest entereth into the holy place every year with blood of others; but now once in the end of the world hath HE APPEARED TO PUT AWAY SIN BY THE SACRIFICE OF HIMSELF. (NOT BY SUFFERING IN HELL). So Christ was ONCE OFFERED TO BEAR THE SINS of many;”
Heb 10:29-31 “Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace? For we know him that hath said, Vengeance belongeth unto me, I will recompense, saith the Lord. And again, The Lord shall judge his people. It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of the living God.”
Heb 13:20 “Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,
1 John 1:7 “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship one with another, and the blood of Jesus Christ his Son cleanseth us from all sin.”
Rev 1:5 “And from Jesus Christ, who is the faithful witness, and the first begotten of the dead, and the prince of the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood,”
Rev 5:9 “And they sung a new song, saying, Thou art worthy to take the book, and to open the seals thereof: for thou wast slain, and hast redeemed us to God by thy blood out of every kindred, and tongue, and people, and nation;”
Luke 22:20 “Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.”
Acts 20:28 “Take heed therefore unto yourselves, and to all the flock, over the which the Holy Ghost hath made you overseers, to feed the church of God, which he hath purchased with his own blood.”
Rom 3:25 “Rom 3:25 “Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;”
Rom 5:9 “Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.”
Eph 1:7 “In whom we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of his grace;”
Eph 2:13 “But now in Christ Jesus ye who sometimes were far off are made nigh by the blood of Christ.”
Heb 9:12-14 “Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal redemption for us. For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the purifying of the flesh: How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?”
Heb 10:19 “Having therefore, brethren, boldness to enter into the holiest by the blood of Jesus,
Hagin and Copeland discount the KJV and promote using many other translations. Nearly all other translations, the NIV, NASB, etc., delete the blood in Col. 1:14. (See the article on our website: “Changing the Bible”)
In the NIV, Col 1:14 says “in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.” Note: “through his blood” is deleted.
3. COPELAND SAID WHEN JESUS SAID IT WAS FINISHED ON THE CROSS, IT WASN’T FINISHED. IT WAS JUST BEGINNING. Is the Bible the final authority of our faith or a man? Christ said it is finished just before he died. When Jesus said “It is finished!”, that meant that the price for our sins was paid in full. Where was the price paid? According to the Bible, AT THE CROSS. IT WAS FINISHED WHEN JESUS SAID IT WAS FINISHED!
DISCOUNTING CHRIST’S DEATH ON THE CROSS
1. Kenneth Hagin-“CHRIST'S PHYSICAL DEATH ON THE CROSS WAS NOT ENOUGH TO SAVE US." (Kenneth Hagin, How Jesus obtained His Name, Tape).
2. Copeland-“IT WASN’T A PHYSICAL DEATH ON THE CROSS THAT PAID THE PRICE FOR SIN.” (Copeland, “What Satan Saw on the Day of Pentecost”. Audio tape # BBC-19, side 1 Audio tape #44-H01, Fort Worth: Messages by Kenneth Copeland, n.d., audiotape #BCC-19, side 1.)
3. Copeland-“The death of Jesus Christ was not a physical death alone. If it had been a physical death, ABEL WOULD HAVE PAID THE PRICE FOR MANKIND. He was the first man that died because of honoring God and His Word. If it had been a physical death only, it wouldn't have worked! And if He hadn't died spiritually, that body never would have died." (What Happened From the Cross to the Throne, Tape #00-0303)
PROPHET THAT WALKED THE FACE OF THE
EARTH UNDER THE ABRAHAMIC COVENANT COULD
HAVE PAID THE PRICE IF IT WERE A PHYSICAL DEATH ONLY”
“When he said ‘It is
finished’ on that cross, HE WAS NOT SPEAKING OF THE PLAN OF
REDEMPTION. The plan of redemption had just begun, there were still
three days and three nights to be gone through.”
“[Jesus] accepted the sin nature of Satan in His own Spirit,
and at the moment that He did so, He cried ‘My God, my God, why
have you forsaken me?’.” “He [Jesus] was down in
that pit and there he suffered the punishment for three horrible days
and nights for Adam’s treason... There is a new birth takes
place in the very depths of the earth, when the command of God says
‘That’s enough, loose him and let him go’.”
(Copeland, What Happened from the Cross to the Throne, Kenneth Copeland, What Happened From the Cross to the Throne, Kenneth Copeland Ministries, side two tape). Copeland is exactly teaching what Hagin taught him, which Hagin learned from Kenyon’s book “What Happened from the Cross to the Throne”).
Copeland saying that ANY PROPHET could have died for us is no different than what the Muslims say about Jesus. They say that Jesus was just a prophet.
5. Copeland-“YOU COULD HAVE SAVED MEN,” Kenneth Copeland, Substitute and Identification 1989 tape # 00-0202)
Copeland’s and Hagin’s assert that Jesus bought our redemption suffering three days in hell. They say Jesus’ blood does not atone and his death on the cross did not buy our redemption. They teach if it was just dying for our sins, ANYONE COULD HAVE DONE THAT. If that were the case, following their thinking, then ANYONE could have suffered in hell three days to buy our redemption.
6. E.W. Kenyon-“THE PHYSICAL DEATH OF JESUS DID NOT TOUCH THE SIN ISSUE AT ALL.” “OTHERWISE CHRISTIANS WOULDN’T HAVE TO DIE.”
That is the argument of an atheist, not someone who knows and believes the Bible. Kenyon is not looking at eternity at all. The issue of eternity is the main reason Jesus came. (McDowell, “A Different Gospel, p. 23, 33)
7. Hagin, Copeland, Kenyon, teach ANYONE could have died on the cross for our sins if it was just the physical death. But they are MISSING THE MAIN ISSUE.
*Scientists tell us that a baby gets his flesh from his mother, but the blood comes from the Father. That is why biblical genealogies of the bloodline are traced through the fathers. JESUS GOT HIS BODY, HIS FLESH, FROM HIS MOTHER Mary, but HE HAD NO EARTHLY FATHER. JESUS’ BLOOD CAME FROM HIS FATHER GOD. HE HAD GOD’S BLOOD IN A MAN’S BODY. THAT’S HOW HE COULD BE THE SON OF MAN AND THE SON OF GOD AT THE SAME TIME.
1 Tim 3:16 Jesus was “God was manifest in the flesh,” (KJV)
John 1:1 “…THE WORD WAS GOD.” (KJV)
JESUS WAS NOT JUST ANYONE BEING CRUCIFIED. HE WAS GOD! HIS BLOOD WAS NOT ORDINARY BLOOD. IT WAS GOD’S UNBLEMISHED, DIVINE BLOOD THAT WAS SHED FOR THE REMISSION OF SINS.
Heb 10:1-4 “For the law having A SHADOW of good THINGS TO COME, and not the very image of the things, can never with those sacrifices which they offered year by year continually make the comers thereunto perfect. For then would they not have ceased to be offered? because that the worshippers once purged should have had no more conscience of sins. But in those sacrifices there is a remembrance again made of sins every year. FOR IT IS NOT POSSIBLE THAT THE BLOOD OF BULLS AND OF GOATS SHOULD TAKE AWAY SINS.”
SAYING CHRIST’S DEATH ON THE CROSS DOES NOT BUY OUR SALVATION, AND HIS SHED BLOOD DOES NOT ATONE FOR OUR SINS IS LIBERAL THEOLOGY OF THE APOSTATE CHURCH. This modernist doctrine has been around along time. Now it has come front and center in the Charismatic Movement, Pentecost and Christianity!
THERE IS LITTLE OR NO BLOOD preached in most Charismatic, Pentecostal and Christian churches today. They have become as politically correct as most of the mainline denominations. Many Pentecostal churches no longer will allow speaking in tongues in the services, afraid they will run somebody off. They don’t want to say or do anything that will offend anyone. Their main objectives are to draw bigger crowds and get more money. Ichabod is written on the doorpost of the churches. The glory has departed. I Sam. 4:21.
WHAT DOES THE BIBLE SAY ABOUT CHRIST’S DEATH ON THE CROSS?
1 Cor 15:3 “how that CHRIST DIED FOR OUR SINS according to the scriptures;”
Eph 2:16 “And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:”
Phil 2:8 “And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became OBEDIENT UNTO DEATH, EVEN THE DEATH OF THE CROSS.”
Eph 2:16 “And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross,”
Col 2:14-15 “Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, NAILING IT TO HIS CROSS; And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it.”
Phil 3:18-19 (For many walk, of whom I have told you often, and now tell you even weeping, that they are THE ENEMIES OF THE CROSS OF CHRIST: Whose end is destruction, whose God is their belly, and whose glory is in their shame, who mind earthly things.)
Col 1:20 “And, having made peace THROUGH THE BLOOD OF HIS CROSS, by him to reconcile all things unto himself; by him, I say, whether they be things in earth, or things in heaven.”
Heb 12:2-3 “Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him ENDURED THE CROSS, (Not endured Hell) despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.For consider him that endured such contradiction of sinners against himself, lest ye be wearied and faint in your minds.”
Gal 6:12 “As many as desire to make a fair shew in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest they should SUFFER PERSECUTION FOR THE CROSS OF CHRIST.”
1 Cor 1:17 “For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, LEST THE CROSS OF CHRIST SHOULD BE MADE OF NONE EFFECT.”
1 Cor 1:18 For THE PREACHING OF THE CROSS is TO THEM THAT PERISH FOOLISHNESS; but unto us which are saved IT IS THE POWER OF GOD.
Gal 5:11 “And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is THE OFFENCE OF THE CROSS ceased.”
.Gal.6:14 "But God forbid that I should GLORY, SAVE IN THE CROSS of our Lord Jesus Christ, by whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world."
JESUS DIDN’T BEAR OUR SINS IN HELL HE DID IT ON THE CROSS
Isa. 53 “He was WOUNDED for our transgressions; BRUISED for our iniquitites.
Heb 10:10-12 “By the which will we are sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all. And every priest standeth daily ministering and offering oftentimes the same sacrifices, which can never take away sins: BUT THIS MAN, AFTER HE HAD OFFERED ONE SACRIFICE FOR SINS FOR EVER, SAT DOWN ON THE RIGHT HAND OF GOD;”
THE WORK CHRIST DID ON THE CROSS AND HIS SHED BLOOD MEAN NOTHING TO THESE TEACHERS WHO SAY JESUS PAID THE PRICE FOR OUR REDEMPTION SUFFERING IN HELL. THERE IS ABSOLUTELY NO SCRIPTURAL BASIS FOR THEIR CLAIMS.
Their revelation is NOT FROM THE HOLY SPIRIT, because it disagrees with the Bible.
John 16:13 “Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself;” (KJV)
John 17:17 “Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.” (KJV)
The way Copeland and Hagin teach the Atonement is an exact carbon copy of E.W. Kenyon’s book, “What Happened From the Cross to the Throne”
THE WRATH OF THE LAMB
Rev 6:16-17 “And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from THE WRATH OF THE LAMB:” We know “The Lamb of God” is Jesus.
WHY WOULD THE LAMB BE FULL OF WRATH? One thinks of a lamb as the most passive creature. The Lamb of God, Jesus, will be full of wrath because his sacrifice on the cross and the shedding of His blood was discounted as being worth nothing.
Heb 10:29 “Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath COUNTED THE BLOOD OF THE COVENANT, wherewith he was sanctified, AN UNHOLY THING, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?” (KJV)
Rev 5:12-13 “Saying with a loud voice, WORTHY IS THE LAMB THAT WAS SLAIN to receive power, and riches, and wisdom, and strength, and honour, and glory, and blessing. And every creature which is in heaven, and on the earth, and under the earth, and such as are in the sea, and all that are in them, heard I saying, Blessing, and honour, and glory, and power, be unto him that sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb for ever and ever.” (KJV)
Rev 19:11-13 “And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. HIS EYES WERE AS A FLAME OF FIRE, (this shows His hot anger) and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew,” (KJV)
Jude 1:15 “To execute judgment upon all, and to convince all that are ungodly among them of all their ungodly deeds which they have ungodly committed, and of all their hard speeches which ungodly sinners have spoken against him.”
According to the Bible…
1. Can you be saved if you don’t believe that Jesus is the only begotten Son of God and was God manifest in the flesh?
2. Can you be saved if you don’t believe that Christ died on the cross to save you from our sins?
3. Can you be saved if you don’t believe that Christ’s blood will atone for your sins?
Rom 1:25 “Who changed the truth of God into a lie, and worshipped and served the creature more than the Creator,” (KJV)
II Th 2:11-12 “And for this cause God shall send them strong delusion, that they should BELIEVE A LIE: That THEY ALL MIGHT BE DAMNED who BELIEVED NOT THE TRUTH,” (KJV)
*This series will be continued on PART IV
Note: An in depth study regarding these issues and many others can be made from my book, “The Paganization of Christianity”, which can be ordered from our website: www.lorendavis.com
(Note: You cannot click on these to go to the websites. You must type them in and go directly).
http://www.inplainsite.org/html/word_of_faith.htmlhttp://www.aloha.net/~mikesch/tbn.htm (Benny Hinn) (Jesus coming physically to crusade in Nairobi)
http://www.inplainsite.org/html/word of faith.html
http://www.aloha.net-mikesch/tbn.htm (Benny Hinn saying Jesus is physically going to be at the crusade in Nairobi)
www://www.intotruth.org/wof/moreno4.html (Faith Movement’s attacks on those who stand for true doctrine)
Hindu Website. God male and female: http://shaivam.org/siddhanta/maardh.html
Google: T.D. Jakes/Oneness or www.apologeticsindex.org/j11.html
A Different Gospel,
Copeland, The Force of Faith, p. 7, Reason, 8, 10, 18-19
Exceeding Growing Faith, Hagin, p. 77-85
Hagin, “Instantly Obey Your Spirit”, p. 59, 74
Hagin, The Precious Blood of Jesus, p. 7, p. 13
Hagin, Paul’s Revelation p. 19
Martin R. De Haan II, What Do we Have to Lose? p. 9, 17, (Eternal Security)
Kenneth Copeland, The Force of Righteousnes, p. 5, p. 26, 6-11 (Eternal Security)
Smith Wigglesworth, Healing, p.81 (Ten Commandments done away)
Charisma Magazine, Feb. 2003, (Rhema defrocks pastor who is against abortion)
Capps, Authority in Three Worlds, p. 100-108, 56-55
Charisma Magazine, April 2000, Jakes Oneness/Jesus Only
E.W. Kenyon, What Happened from the Cross to the Throne. (The perversion of the atonement)